Principal Packaging Engineer
Company: Abbott Laboratories
Location: lake forest
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more
fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing
technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading
businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices,
nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues
serve people in more than 160 countries.
About Abbott Diagnostics
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast,
accurate diagnosis. Abbotts life-changing tests and diagnostic
tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and
transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare
operations with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation
and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood
centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Lake Forest, IL, currently has an opportunity
for a Principal Packaging Engineer. This team member will
lead the packaging team to establish packaging systems with optimal
effectiveness. The Packaging Engineering group designs, tests, and
implements packaging designs that are an integral part of the
organizations Product Development process. The team also reviews
and improves existing packaging designs, tests standards and
guidelines for developing packaging solutions for the organizations
products. Packaging engineers work with internal resources and
packaging suppliers to achieve functional packaging goals.
WHAT YOULL DO:
- Develops and specifies new and revised packaging.
- Provides direction in the development and implementation
- Requires in-depth knowledge of industry regulatory requirements
for packaging components and their related testing and
- Coach & mentor individual engineers and the entire staff in the
lab to assure that best business decisions are made for ADD
considering strategic direction and technical risk.
- Fosters a diverse workplace that enables all participants to
contribute to their full potential in pursuit of organizational
- Oversee and manage complete packaging development process and
systems, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype
development, and performance testing protocol approach.
- Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving
designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications of product to
determine physical characteristics of item, special handling,
environmental and safety requirements, and types of materials
required for packaging and handling. Understand the full system
value chain from vendor production, fill site operations to freight
- Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation.
Evaluate and select packaging suppliers/vendors; periodically
conduct vendor reviews.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Work closely with global suppliers, engineering, QA, product
management, operations, and sourcing.
- Participate in cross functional launch teams, to deliver new
products to market.
- Identify and implement cost saving and sustainability
initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency,
transportation, and storage.
- Work closely with supply chain to optimize packaging supply
base for cost, lead time, quality, regionalization,
standardization, supply assurance, and compliance with customer,
regulatory, and internal requirements.
- Be comfortable and proficient presenting projects to teams and
- Specify and recommend efficiency tools and test methods to
develop and validate packaging designs.
- Work with operations functions to ensure that the packaging
designs are optimized for manufacturability.
- Develop and implement comprehensive test plans to ensure that
packaging exceeds internal and external customer
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOULL BRING
- Bachelors degree in a related field or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
- 8 years related work experience.
- Provides direction and monitors progress of exempt specialists
and/or supervisory staff toward departmental goals; monitors costs
of projects and of human and material resources within a department
or unit; monitors company-wide indicators such as market share and
profitability; monitors external environment in area of technical
or professional responsibility.
- Will perform this job in a quality system environment.
- Failure to adequately perform tasks can result in noncompliance
with governmental regulations.
- Develops and/or identifies new work processes and the improved
utilization of human and material resources within the assigned or
related functions or groups; facilitates others' participation in
the continuous improvement program; investigates and solves
problems that impact work processes and personnel within or across
units or departments; develops and communicates a vision for the
organizational unit assigned.
- Bachelors degree in packaging engineering, Engineering, Life
Sciences or closely related discipline; Masters degree
- Experience managing and coaching a team
- Packaging Material experience in corrugate/carton board,
labeling/decoration, with rigid plastics and flexible films. DOT/DG
Certification and Cold Chain experience a plus.
- Demonstrable proficiency in CAPE/Topps, Artios CAD, AutoCAD,
and Solidworks, MS Office Suite including Power Point needed.
- Experience working in a packaging lab
- Experience in healthcare, medical device or pharmaceutical
- Knowledge and understanding of medical device requirements
(e.g. EUMDR), packaging design validation standards (ISO, ASTM,
ISTA, DOT, IMDG, IATA etc.), drafting and specification
- Full systems engineering for packaging from vendor, through
manufacturing, distribution to end user.
- Problem solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong communication skills, orally and in writing.
- Understanding of process improvement, quality improvement
- ISO 9001 certification (e.g., CQA, CQE, CQIA)
- Experience in rapid prototyping
- Ability to demonstrate project management skills and
- Root cause analysis & Lean/6-Sigma methodologies. Certification
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great
career. We offer:
- Training and career development , with onboarding
programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation,
incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical,
dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company
- The stability of a company with a record of strong
financial performance and history of being actively involved in
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life
to help you live fully: http://www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse
opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength
to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer,
committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com , on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and
United States > Lake Forest : CP01 Floor-2
Yes, 15 % of the Time
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive
hours in an 8 hour day)Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of
Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected
Veterans.EEO is the Law link - English:
http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf EEO is
the Law link - Espanol:
Posted 2 Days Ago
Abbott is about the power of health. For more than 125
years, Abbott has been helping people reach their potential
because better health allows people and communities to achieve
more. With a diverse, global network serving customers in more than
160 countries, we create new solutions across the spectrum of
health, around the world, for all stages of life. Whether its
next-generation diagnostics, life-changing devices, science-based
nutrition, or novel reformulations, we are advancing some of the
most innovative and revolutionary technologies in healthcare,
helping people live their best lives through better health.
The people of Abbott come to work each day with
relentless energy, enthusiasm and a promise to enhance the health
and well-being of millions of people. They push the boundaries to
help manage and treat some of lifes greatest health challenges.
We invite you to explore opportunities at Abbott , to see
if your talents and career aspirations may fit with our openings.
An equal opportunity employer, Abbott welcomes and
encourages diversity in our workforce.
Keywords: Abbott Laboratories, Lake Forest , Principal Packaging Engineer, Other , lake forest, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!