Environmental Sustainability Manager (West Coast)
Location: Lake Forest
Posted on: June 9, 2021
At UL, we know why we come to work.
Thousands of us around the world wake up every day with a common
purpose: to make the world a safer, more secure and sustainable
place. Science is in our DNA; we are endlessly curious and
passionate about seeking and speaking the truth. We take delight in
knowing that our work makes a meaningful contribution to society,
and we are proud that our culture is centered on integrity,
collaboration, inclusion and excellence. UL stands at the forefront
of technological advancement, and we are continually challenged to
find new ways to foster innovation and positive change. Satisfying?
Yes. Exciting? Absolutely!
As our global footprint continues to grow, we are looking for an
Environmental Sustainability Manager to join our Asset and
Sustainability Performance team based in Lake Forest, CA!
The Environmental Sustainability Manager is responsible for
managing the initiation and continuous delivery of a broad-based,
company-wide environmental sustainability program throughout the
global Company. Drive progress throughout the program lifecycle,
from planning and budgeting, through deployment, to ongoing
performance management and improvement. Ensure UL's environmental
sustainability efforts enhance business performance, corporate
social responsibility (CSR) strategies, brand value and supports
the long-term interests of the Company.
What you'll learn & achieve:
- Champion the importance of environmental sustainability for UL
across all stakeholder groups, internal and external to UL,
including employees, customers, consumers, suppliers and
- Develop and direct a geographically dispersed, matrix internal
team of individuals to drive environmental sustainability at the
local level. Oversee and define the scope of the team, short-and
long-term. Define the team's duties, and assign accountabilities
with their managers' support and commitment.
- Provides practical advice, coordination, support and management
tools to business units, functions and site leaders engaged in
implementing environmental sustainability initiatives.
- Measure, monitor, and report progress against environmental
sustainability strategies, objectives and performance targets,
offering guidance, direction, and expertise.
- Identify and prioritize areas for institutional environmental
sustainability efforts, and recommend strategies for proactively
addressing relevant environmental sustainability issues, such as
energy use, resource conservation, recycling, pollution reduction,
waste elimination, transportation, education, and building
- Serve as an internal environmental sustainability subject
matter expert. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of laws and
regulations that impact the organization. Updates the organization
on new regulations and environmental sustainability
- Develop and implement standardized global processes to monitor,
track, communicate and report on the financial and environmental
impact of UL's environmental sustainability efforts.
- Foster a culture of environmental sustainability through
ongoing internal and external communications and education.
- May manage the performance of direct reports by defining
accountabilities, establishing performance objectives, providing
career counseling, feedback and guidance.
- Be an active member in your local BOMA and USGBC chapter
(holding a leadership position in a committee is preferred)
- Attend and present at all local major industry events and
conferences -Attend sustainability trainings and meetings
- Manage expenses responsibly
- Ensure our CRM (SalesForce.com) is kept up to date, including
(but not limited to):
- Client information
- Customer relations/activity
- Report time and expenses in a timely manner
What makes you a great fit:
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university;
or one to two years related experience and/or training; or
equivalent combination of education and experience.
- LEED AP: 2+ year working as LEED Project Manager or
- Familiarity with Energy Star Pereferred.
- Experience working on WELL, Fitwel, BREEAM, and/or all LEED
rating systems preferred.
- Proven track record of implementing sustainability programs
such as LEED, WELL, FITWEL, BREEAM.
- Excellent ability to manage multiple, complex projects,
simultaneously; and adaptable to shifting priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as this role
will frequently interact with all levels of the organization as
well as external stakeholders.
- Ability to facilitate team and client support and manage
project tasks with minimal oversightAbility to network and persuade
employees and management to buy into sustainability
- Strong strategic, analytical, communication and decision-making
- Ability to travel to client sites (up to 10%)
What you'll experience working at UL:
- Mission: For UL, corporate and social responsibility isn't new.
Making the world a safer, more secure and sustainable place has
been our business model for the last 125 years and is deeply
engrained in everything we do.
- People: Ask any UL employee what they love most about working
here, and you'll almost always hear, "the people." Going beyond
what is possible is the standard at UL. We're able to deliver the
best because we employ the best.
- Interesting work: Every day is different for us here as we
eagerly anticipate the next innovation that our customers' create.
We're inspired to take on the challenge that will transform how
people live, work and play. And as a global company, in many roles,
you will get international experience working with colleagues
around the world.
- Grow & achieve: We learn, work and grow together with targeted
development, reward and recognition programs as well as our very
own UL University that offers extensive training programs for
employees at all stages, including a technical training track for
- Total Rewards: In the US, we provide lots of great benefits for
our employees are their families. From Volunteer Days off to 401k
match and retirement contribution benefits to flexible work
location & schedule options we look to support our employees no
matter what stage in life they are experiencing.
Working at UL is an exciting journey that twists and turns
daily. We thrive in the twists and revel in the turns. This is our
every day. This is our normal.
Curious? To learn more about us and the work we do, visit
Keywords: UL, Lake Forest , Environmental Sustainability Manager (West Coast), Other , Lake Forest, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!